Thursday, March 13, 2014

Letter to a teacher

Dear Miss T,

Hi teacher, I hope you are keeping well. I can't remember when was the last time I saw you since primary school reunion for the first time and last time years and years back, but I believe you are grand.

This is me, after so many years of studying, finally finished my medical degree in July. This morning, I woke up with a picture of what you said in my mind out of no reason, this explains me writing this letter at least.

This fragment of memory surprised me, it happened 7 years ago. The picture goes: 'What? YOU are also wanting to do medicine? Just like my-favourite-student?'

Yes and no, teacher. Yes, I want to do medicine, but NO, not like your-favourite-student, it's just me, myself, not like anyone else, want to do medicine.

There's a potential in everybody I believe. I don't think it was fair to judge anybody, regardless of who you are. I may not be as bright as your-favourite-student, but I try my best to achieve what I deserve, to work towards my goal as myself. By comparing and ranking anybody is not going to be a positive reinforcement, I believe. To encourage and inspire would be a whole different story though, would you agree?

My story for the past 7 years is simple. Since I started doing pre-medical course and the actual medical course, teacher, I make sure I pass all my exams, which I did; and I make sure I keep moving to the next step, which I did. I did not perform as the best student in any stage, but I tried to be at my very best. I am glad that I made my family and friends proud, and I hope you feel the same way too. I am not just like your-favourite-student, because I am more than that.

I hope you see every student as a star, not seeing them based on the grades on pieces of papers, because that is not all about a person. Being a teacher is a joy, I learned that from my sister who has been teaching for 2 years, telling how much potentials everyone has, and what they need is encouragement and guidance to shine.

I hope every student is your-favourite-student and I wish there longer be no comparison among all your students. Everyone deserve to be viewed as a special and unique individual, and no one should be belittled by a teacher, not when they have dreams and very own point of view.

I wish one day somehow when you read this letter, you will understand, I am not speaking for myself, but for every other student that, everyone is special and this is beyond comparison.

Yours sincerely, 
 Katherine

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My dear Katherine,

How I remember that it can be so amazing to read and know someone so vividly without seeing nor hearing but listening.

It has been clear that you sound like you are leaving to a place from where you are now.
If I were a fairy, I will spread on you fairy dust, give you all the more happiness. But... ...
I am only an ordinary person, just like everyone else in this world, but I would like to give you my most sincere blessings to you, with you wherever you are.

We are just human, and so I believe we all can and will feel lonely. I also believe that it is merely a process of growing, and things happen for a reason, that may not be understood now, yet.

Love,
Wingless-fairy